How we are organised
Kirsten Firth is our Community Rail Development Manager and is based at Lewes Station. Kirsten manages 3 members of staff who are all based at offices on each of the lines we work on and below is our officer structure.
- Kirsten Firth, Community Rail Development Manager
- Kevin Barry P/T Community Rail Development Officer (Marshlink Line)
- Sharon Gray Community Rail Development Officer (Uckfield/East Grinstead Line and Tonbridge/Reigate Line)
- Angie Lowen Community Rail Education Officer (Arun Valley)
The SCRP Ltd. develops an annual budget for the SCRP and an allocation is made to each line group, which takes into account the annual action plan approved for each line. These action plans are based on discussions held with our partners and are reviewed and approved by the relevant local line group – these groups comprise a range of local representatives and funding partners.
The budget is regularly reviewed at the Board meetings. SCRP Ltd also organises any grant bids and monitors the reporting of progress and completion of any projects SCRP undertakes.
The Strategic Advisory Board (SAB)
The SCRP is guided by the SAB and is currently constituted as follows:
- Southern Railway
- Network Rail
- East Sussex County Council
- West Sussex County Council
- Brighton and Hove City Council
- Kent County Council
- South Downs National Park
- 1066 Country Marketing
- Gatwick Airport Ltd.
- Independent (SCRP Ltd.)
- Chairs of the five line groups.
Observers on the SAB include Surrey County Council, Association of Community Rail Partnership, Department for Transport and Passenger Focus.
The SAB generally meets twice a year to consider current significant issues and to confirm or alter strategic direction. It receives regular reports from the line groups, project updates and the Board of SCRP Ltd.
The Board meets on a regular basis.
The present Board is made up of independent directors, line chairman and observers and it is currently comprised of:-
- Tim Sparrow an independent Director and also Company Secretary
- Philip Ayers an independent Director and Finance Director
- Tim Barkley Chairman and Chair of the Uckfield/East Grinstead Line Group
- Patrick Warner an independent Director
- Jon Freeman Chairman of the Seaford/Brighton Line group
- Bob Lanzer Chairman of the Arun Valley Line Group
- John Phillips Observer and Chair of the Tonbridge/Reigate Line Group
- Kevin Boorman Observer and Chair of the Marshlink Line Group
Below is a map which identifies the five lines covered by the SCRP.
Each line has a local steering group who meet about 4 times each year. As the map shows the line groups cover an extensive area across the Southern Rail franchise area from Chichester to Gatwick, Ashford to Hastings, Seaford to Brighton, Uckfield/East Grinstead to Oxted and Tonbridge to Reigate.
The Line Groups also hold a special annual meeting when all relevant stakeholders are invited to presentations and discussions about the activity along their lines.
The SCRP works in partnership with East Sussex County Council, West Sussex County Council, Brighton and Hove City Council, Kent County Council, Southern Railway, Network Rail, Gatwick Airport, South Downs National Park Authority, local authorities across Sussex, Surrey and Kent as well as local community groups, tourist bodies and rail passenger support groups across the South East of England.
Income and expenditure is monitored on a regular basis by the SCRP Ltd against the budget approved at the start of the financial year. Day to day budget management is carried out by the Community Rail Development Manager.